Saturday 15 May 2010

A Plethora of Plants

It occurred to me the other day that I have not kept up to date with all the identification of plants in the garden. I foray out to the local plant nurseries and garden centres and purchase plants sometimes planned but mostly on impulse. On returning to the garden I get so enthused by the prospect of planting them that I forget to record the purchase. I do conscientiously label the plants but despite trying various types of label and marker pen, after a season the label is washed clean and the plant nomencliture gone.

Above: Hosta Frances Williams
So to attempt to remedy this problem I have asked the multi-talented Handyman to create a small database onto which I can record the details of the plant purchased and the location in the garden. My intention is to update this as soon as I have planted the said purchase - wish me luck!

In the process of gathering information to log to the database I have gone round the garden with a notebook writing down the names etc of all the clematis and roses in the garden currently. It was a surprise to realise the number of each that we have planted over the past 3 years: 10 climbing roses, 3 ramblers, 11 shrub and 3 ground cover roses. On the clematis front we have 19 plants. Now I need to start on the herbascious geraniums and the hostas!

By the way, if anyone has a recommendation re plant labels and pens that work, please, please let me know.

No comments: